Pyrenees Coast to Coast Road Trip 2014

Home/WDMBC Events/Trips/Pyrenees Coast to Coast Road Trip 2014

Home Forums WDMBC Events Trips Pyrenees Coast to Coast Road Trip 2014

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m interested but probably unlikely. Need to save the pennies to get a road bike but also need to convince the wife that I need a road bike to complement my mountain bike. πŸ˜†

Though I’m tempted to say yes a throw slicks on my 29er and haul my tank up the Tourmalet! πŸ˜†

MatthewBurt
    Participant

Put me down as possibly maybe please Chris, done the Alps so the Pyrenees sounds like fun!?!
    Dates wise I’ll go with the flow.

paul
    Keymaster

GrahamL wrote: I’m interested but probably unlikely. Need to save the pennies to get a road bike but also need to convince the wife that I need a road bike to complement my mountain bike. πŸ˜†

Though I’m tempted to say yes a throw slicks on my 29er and haul my tank up the Tourmalet! πŸ˜†

Hi Graham

Think that doing the ride on a MTB would be ΓΌber tough. Would be worth borrowing a road bike and, dependant upon your geometry, I may have one to lend.

chris
    Keymaster

Sounds like there is some interest , the planned route will start from the Atlantic coast near to Biaritz and the plan will go over some famous Tour de France cols in the Pyrenees, including the Col De Tourmalet (2115M), Col de marie blanc, Col Aubisque and the Col Solour before finishing on the Mediterranean coast near to Perpignan.
    Average distance per day will be around the 110 km mark with the plan to either fly to Biaritz or ferry to Santander or Bilbao which is about a 150 mile drive to Biaritz
    To save costs the idea that the bikes would be transported by the club van which would get the o/night ferry on the Friday arriving in Spain early evening to then drive to the start to meet those that have flown.
    Just need to sort out a date now

GrahamL
    Participant

paul wrote: Hi Graham

Think that doing the ride on a MTB would be ΓΌber tough. Would be worth borrowing a road bike and, dependant upon your geometry, I may have one to lend.

Cheers Paul, I’d definitely be interested in borrowing a road bike if possible. I’m 6 foot and somewhere between 16 or 17 stone and falling.

chris
    Keymaster

Graham .tim smith posted up a second hand Trek up recently that would be an ideal 1st road bike. Speak to him he might be open to offers .an early xmas present! Hopefully you can make the trip

MickF
    Participant

Chris. I’m interested provisionally and Big Alan Scouseness has expressed an interest. I personally would favour June on the basis of the likely improvement in conditions in the high passes and generally better conditions.

paul
    Keymaster

Graham. Think Chris has the better idea as my bike would be too small to fit comfortably. Tim is around your size and weight, although my weight is rising πŸ™‚

Anonymous

Chris, I could be interested if it is late May/early June as I am planning a self-supported charity LEJOG trip starting on the 22nd June. Could be the perfect prep!

Thanks,

Stew

chris
    Keymaster

StewartL wrote: Chris, I could be interested if it is late May/early June as I am planning a self-supported charity LEJOG trip starting on the 22nd June. Could be the perfect prep!

Thanks,

Stew

Great stuff the more the merrier

MickF
    Participant

Big Al has said to put his name down.

JodiR
    Participant

With the fear of being the only chick I am well up for this, did a mountain leg in France this year and are absolutely keen for a week in the Pyranese, end of May utalising a public holiday weekend would be ideal but I don’t have kids so are flexible . . . and keen! Let’s hope my stamina is equal to my keeness . . . πŸ™‚

Darren
    Participant

Chris….I’m interested and I need a date well in advance did you settle on one in June?

paul
    Keymaster

Darren – provisionally June but subject to confirmation (per club news)….

[font=Times New Roman]“Having checked my dates at work I amprovisionally looking at organising the Clubs 2014 Pryeneen road trip betweenthe 8th and 15th June, so hopefully this date will alsosuit a number of you, if it does let me know and once the Night race/duathlonare out the way I will be looking for hotels and confirming routes and lookingfor some commitment.”[/font]

chris
    Keymaster

Ok dates are now confirmed as the weekend of the 22nd June to the 29th June. Please let me know if these date fit in with your plans and you are still keen to come, so far confirmed ok with this set date are the below. We have had to move the date back to this date as there was still snow on the passess mid June last year

Myself
    Mick Fuller
    Karen -Plans on riding half distance each day and make use off the support vehicle
    Steve Pellow
    Sean Squire
    Chris Pay plus 2 guests

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 102 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.