Paul Crook National LVRC Crit Champ

Home/WDMBC Events/Road Races/Paul Crook National LVRC Crit Champ

Home Forums WDMBC Events Road Races Paul Crook National LVRC Crit Champ

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Congratulations to the King of the Sprints Paul Crook on another superb victory at the Hillingdon circuit today when he was crowned LVRC National Criterium Champion.
    Paul’s effort was superbly timed after keeping his powder dry for the majority of the A category race. With only a handful of laps to go he was one of a small group who set off in pursuit of a four man breakaway. As they took the bell, the break was riding strongly and still having nearly half a minute lead, it appeared a certainty that the winner would come from these four. It seemed however that they finessed rather too much, as when they appeared around the final corner into the finishing straight they had been caught and it was the WDMBC’s very own missile who was leading out the sprint. The margin of victory was so large he had time for a double fist salute before crossing the line but would have had time for a chest cross, crucifix kiss, sky point and a rock the baby!
    An emphatic win Paul.
    Chapeau! :NotWorthy

Paul Crook
    Participant

MickF wrote: With only a handful of laps to go he was one of a small group who set off in pursuit of a four man breakaway. As they took the bell, the break was riding strongly and still having nearly half a minute lead, it appeared a certainty that the winner would come from these four.

Thanks Mick… it came as much as a surprise to me as anyone else watching. I had been suffering throughout the race with hay fever… simply couldn’t breath. But as I went through the finish with two laps to go I thought I should at least try and get up to the second group which I managed. Then with about half a lap to go I realised the break was coming back insight so I thought “what the hell” and went for a long sprint… from about 400m out. As I caught the break as they turned into the finishing straight I simply went straight past them and kept going.

Nice to win in front of my boys, even if Cameron didn’t believe it was me winning (that shows you how far back we were with a lap to go 😆 )

paul
    Keymaster

Well done Paul :jump:

Attached files

Paul Crook
    Participant

If that jersey makes me look fat… that’s because it is “6XL” whilst I normally wear Small. I was told by the organiser it was unfortunate but as my race was the last one of the championships I get what is left – that’s rubbish!

Gandalf
    Participant

pcrook wrote: If that jersey makes me look fat… that’s because it is “6XL” whilst I normally wear Small. I was told by the organiser it was unfortunate but as my race was the last one of the championships I get what is left – that’s rubbish!

Ridiculous – Don’t let that spoil your victory, you’re still National Champion. Just with an ill-fitting jersey :toast:

StuartB
    Participant

Way to go Paul!!! Big congrats :banana: :banana: :banana:

Paul Crook
    Participant

Gandalf wrote: Ridiculous – Don’t let that spoil your victory, you’re still National Champion. Just with an ill-fitting jersey :toast:

Cheers Phil. I made a polite enquiry to the organiser to ask who at LVRC might be able to exchange the jersey. However all I got back was a chain of confrontational emails to point he started to get offensive. He is obviously under a lot of pressure from organising the event, but that is no excuse to be rude. :confused:

paul
    Keymaster

pcrook wrote: Cheers Phil. I made a polite enquiry to the organiser to ask who at LVRC might be able to exchange the jersey. However all I got back was a chain of confrontational emails to point he started to get offensive. He is obviously under a lot of pressure from organising the event, but that is no excuse to be rude. :confused:

If I were you Paul, I’d celebrate so much it would fit within the week! :banana:

davidw
    Participant

GREAT WORK PAUL, a true champ, but xxxxxxl, thats a tent

MattC
    Participant

Awesome effort. Sounds like a superb finish! Many many grats!

Paul Crook
    Participant

Thanks all. It’s not so bad the organiser pointed out it is only an XL and the 6 is the associated number for that size. LOL

MickF
    Participant

pcrook wrote: Thanks all. It’s not do bad the organiser pointed out it is only an XL and the 6 is the associated number for that size. LOL

I’ve looked in the LVRC rules. It’s apparently designed to be like a horse race handicapping system. The winner has to wear a parachute like jersey to slow him down and give the others a chance. All Chris Hoy lookalikes have to wear XXXS to restrict breathing. Rule 51.3.B (a) page 27 states that the jersey MUST be worn in all LVRC crits for the following year. I’m going to turn up at your next one just to watch. Mind you, if the wind is behind at the finish there still won’t be anyone to get near you.

davidw
    Participant

MickF wrote: I’ve looked in the LVRC rules. It’s apparently designed to be like a horse race handicapping system. The winner has to wear a parachute like jersey to slow him down and give the others a chance. All Chris Hoy lookalikes have to wear XXXS to restrict breathing. Rule 51.3.B (a) page 27 states that the jersey MUST be worn in all LVRC crits for the following year. I’m going to turn up at your next one just to watch. Mind you, if the wind is behind at the finish there still won’t be anyone to get near you.

Buy a big bag of safety pins for the jersey

paul
    Keymaster

Edited post

paul
    Keymaster

I had a feeling that Grand Miguel Fuller and PaulC would do well on home turf and so it proved. Mick animated his race with a string of audacious attacks that came very close to succeeding. And a below par Crookie was restricted to just the one bullet on the day and used it to devastating effect.

Great racing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.