Geneva to Lake Garda Road Trip

Home/WDMBC Events/Trips/Geneva to Lake Garda Road Trip

Home Forums WDMBC Events Trips Geneva to Lake Garda Road Trip

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Ok hopefully we will be able to announce the route for the planned Geneva to Lake Garda Summer 2015 Road Trip soon, dates will be from the 12th Sept to 19th Sept and there will be a limit on numbers -which is 18. Let me know if interested, details of route/mileage to follow but the plan is to take in some magor climbs including the Stelvio Pass.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by  chris.
    Graeme
    Participant

I might be interested in this but wouldn’t be able to confirm anything at the moment.

Graeme
    Participant

Out of interest I’ve just Googled the Stelvio Pass.

6.133ft of climbing in 15.4 miles. That’s one hell of a climb!

http://app.strava.com/segments/7318971?filter=overall

NickT
    Participant

I’ll be Interested be nice to try and make one of the big trips for a change

chris
    Keymaster

The Stelvio Pass will certainly be a challenge, been busy looking at routes and hopefully will have them sorted very soon, trying to make the last overnight stop before Lake Garda at Yuris Guest house which we have used before in Ponte De Legno

Ok so far provisionally

Me
    Nick
    Graeme

Post up if keen as stated the provisional dates are 12th to 19th Sept

GrahamL
    Participant

I’m interested now I got my road bike. ☺

chris
    Keymaster

As it has been pissng down today and I have been a bit under the weather have sat indoors sorting out the planned Summer road trip for 2015, so here are the details.
    My plans next year on the road cycling front is a 7 day road tour from Thonon Les Bains France to Riva Del Garda Italy.
    The scheduled dates will be from the 12th Sept to 19th Sept.Picked to be after the Nats and Southerns and preparation for Neils cross season and BMFs Tour of Majorca as well as avoiding school holiday season and yet still should be good weather.
    Distances will be around 100-120km a day, but will be mountainous with the Stelvio Pass likely to be the Highest point.
    The plan is that people either fly to Geneva and make there own way to Thonon Les Bains which is an hours transfer by bus or come over in the club van.Likely to be leaving very eary Sat morning or going overnight Friday.The return journey will be most likely fly from Verona which is about an hour away by car form Lake Garda.A few of us are planning a rendevus with the othr halfs and a few days R&R before returning home.
    The suggested daily stages will be
    Thonon Les Bains
    Sion
    Brig
    Bellinzona
    Chavenna
    Zernek
    Pointe De Nero
    Torbole Lake Garda
    Numbers are strictly limited to 20, I need to know a rough estimate as to who is interested , once I do, I will confirm the trusted driver, “Tom the wheels” is available to do the support vehicle and will look at getting deposits of people in the very near future.
    Any Qs come back to me, in terms of cost, would think it will be close to the cost of this years trip,£500-£600 however the costs to get the van back from Italy will entail a bit mre driving but split between 18 or so should not raise the stakes to much and will be about a 1/4 of the price of an organised tour operators fees.

So far
    Graeme
    Graham
    Nick T
    Tim B
    Me

Cheers Chris

MatthewBurt
    Participant

Chris put me down please, Lake Garda alone is worth the effort!!
    Cheers Matt.

chris
    Keymaster

Your down Matt

My plans next year on the road cycling front is a 7 day road tour from Thonon Les Bains France to Riva Del Garda Italy.
    The scheduled dates will be from the 12th Sept to 19th Sept.Picked to be after the Nats and Southerns and preparation for Neils cross season and BMFs Tour of Majorca as well as avoiding school holiday season and yet still should be good weather.
    Distances will be around 100-120km a day, but will be mountainous with the Stelvio Pass likely to be the Highest point.
    The plan is that people either fly to Geneva and make there own way to Thonon Les Bains which is an hours transfer by bus or come over in the club van which is likely to be leaving very eary Sat morning or going overnight Friday.The return journey will be most likely fly from Verona which is about an hour away by car from Lake Garda.A few of us are planning a rendevous with the other halfs and a few days R&R before returning home.
    Thonon Les Bains
    Sion
    Brig
    Bellinzona
    Chavenna
    Zernek
    Pointe De Nero
    Torbole Lake Garda
    Numbers are strictly limited to 20, I need to know a rough estimate as to who is interested , once I do, I will confirm the trusted driver, “Tom the wheels” is available to do the support vehicle and will look at getting deposits of people in the very near future.
    Any Qs come back to me, in terms of cost, would think it will be close to the cost of this years trip,£500-£600 however the costs to get the van back from Italy will entail a bit more driving but split between 18 or so should not raise the stakes to much and will be about a 1/4 of the price of an organised tour operators fees.

So far
    Graeme
    Graham
    Nick T
    Tim B
    Matt B
    Me

Cheers Chris

chris
    Keymaster

Steve Pellowe and Darren Smith join the interested parties

The plan is that people either fly to Geneva and make there own way to Thonon Les Bains which is an hours transfer by bus or come over in the club van which is likely to be leaving very eary Sat morning or going overnight Friday.The return journey will be most likely fly from Verona which is about an hour away by car from Lake Garda.A few of us are planning a rendevous with the other halfs and a few days R&R before returning home.
    Thonon Les Bains
    Sion
    Brig
    Bellinzona
    Chavenna
    Zernek
    Pointe De Nero
    Torbole Lake Garda
    Any Qs come back to me, in terms of cost, would think it will be close to the cost of this years trip,£500-£600 however the costs to get the van back from Italy will entail a bit more driving but split between 18 or so should not raise the stakes to much and will be about a 1/4 of the price of an organised tour operators fees.

So far
    Graeme
    Graham
    Nick T
    Tim B
    Matt B
    Darren S
    Steve Pe
    Me

Couple more required to make it viable so post up if keen

Cheers Chris

chris
    Keymaster

Ok a few more people have expressed an interest and I will be sitting down with John Jones who has a bit of localknowledge of some of the route to confirm the route so there maybe a few subtle changes to the planned itineray

The driver Tom the wheels is available and is chomping at the bit to drive the club van up and down the Stelvio Pass

So start booking your leave.

The plan is a 7 day road tour from Thonon Les Bains France to Riva Del Garda Italy.
    The dates will be from the 12th Sept to 19th Sept.Picked to be after the Nats and Southerns and preparation for BMFs Tour of Majorca as well as avoiding school holiday season and yet still should be good weather.
    Thonon Les Bains
    Sion
    Brig
    Bellinzona
    Chavenna
    Zernek
    Pointe De Nero
    Torbole Lake Garda
    Numbers are strictly limited to 20, I need to know a rough estimate as to who is interested , and will look at getting deposits of people in the very near future.

So far
    Graeme
    Graham
    Nick T
    Tim B
    Matt B
    Darren S
    Steve Pe
    Ben
    Paul M
    Sean E
    Lotte
    Tom the wheels
    Me

Couple more spaces available so post up if keen

Cheers Chris

chris
    Keymaster

Getting close to being full only 2 spaces so dont sit on the fence let me know if interested

I will be sitting down with John Jones later who has a bit of local knowledge of some of the route to confirm the route so there maybe a few subtle changes to the planned itineray

The driver Tom the wheels is available and is chomping at the bit to drive the club van up and down the Stelvio Pass

The plan is a 7 day road tour from Thonon Les Bains France to Riva Del Garda Italy.
    The dates will be from the 12th Sept to 19th Sept.Picked to be after the Nats and Southerns and preparation for BMFs Tour of Majorca as well as avoiding school holiday season and yet still should be good weather.
    Thonon Les Bains
    Sion
    Brig
    Bellinzona
    Chavenna
    Zernek
    Pointe De Nero
    Torbole Lake Garda
    Numbers are strictly limited to 20, I need to know a rough estimate as to who is interested , and will look at getting deposits of people in the very near future.

So far
    Jorge
    Dave E
    Sean S
    Graeme
    Graham
    Nick T
    Tim B
    Matt B
    Darren S
    Steve Pe
    Ben
    Paul M
    Sean E
    Lotte
    Tom the wheels
    Me
    Karen
    Simon Slater
    Couple more spaces available so post up if keen

Cheers Chris

RoyS
    Participant

Chris

Put me down

Cheers

chris
    Keymaster

OK now provisionally full as we are up to 20 people however no one is confirmed until they have paid a deposit , I will put an asterix against your name as soon as I have recieved the dosh, £50 ideally BACS transfer into the club account

Myself and John have poured over the maps using his local knowledge and reckon we have a good hard route-there are a couple of days where people can miss some of the major cols if feelinga bit fragile and of course we will have the support van as a sag wagon worst case scenario.

The dates will be from the 12th Sept to 19th Sept.

I will ot be booking or soorting out people flights a present flights from Verona to Stanstead on the day after we get to Lake Garda are less than £50
    Thonon Les Bains
    Sion
    Fiesch
    Bellinzona
    Chavenna
    Zernek
    Pointe De Nero
    Torbole Lake Garda
    Numbers are strictly limited to 20, as we can only get 19 bikes max in the van.

So far
    Jorge
    Dave E
    Sean S
    Graeme
    Graham
    Nick T
    Tim B
    Matt B
    Darren S
    Steve Pe
    Ben*
    Paul M
    Sean E
    Lotte
    Tom the wheels
    Me*
    Karen
    Simon Slater
    Clive
    Roy S

Cheers Chris

NickT
    Participant

Hi Chris I would have a seat in the van going down to Thonon Les Bains if there’s room but don’t mind flying if otherwise

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by  NickT.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 96 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.