Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 115 total)
  • GrahamL
    Participant
    #74318 |

Nice one Neil, thanks for sorting.

NeilE
    Participant
    #74325 |

For those keen to see the routes, all the information is available here…

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4x3eo6xt0cu7ec9/AAD_UQfP9o_WRWTE1NieuYh_a?dl=0

There are gpx files, just download them and copy & paste them into the “new files” folder on yoyr garmin. There is a word document with distances, ascent and climbs for each day, along with the hotel names and some useful notes for a few of the days. There are also printable maps, profiles of each day and profiles of each climb for all you geeks out there.

Let me know if you have any questions and please dont duplicate the gpx files to multiple other locations because if we do need to update any of the files due to passes being closed or road closures, it only has to be done once.

Graeme
    Participant
    #74326 |

Thanks for that Neil, looks like there’s loads of work gone into that.

Also, how do you want paying for the transfer?

GrahamL
    Participant
    #74327 |

Thanks again Neil awesome work, you’re really spoiling us on day 2 ;-)

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by  GrahamL.
    GrahamL
    Participant
    #74329 |

The Col du Galibier opened at 5pm CET today just the Iseran being the problem at the moment.

Simon Slater
    Participant
    #74334 |

Hi Neil

thanks a lot for sorting the transfer and the routes.

I am pretty useless with IT and am struggling to print the Trip doc, it cuts of the RH side of he document and will not print the whole thing. It only gets to the Day 6 line and then stops.

I have however managed to get the GPXs on Dropbox but am unable to copy and paste them to my docs so I can then add them to the Garmin folder at a later date.

i have not even bothered with the other files as I will end up throwing the pc out through a window!!!!

Could you possibly give me an idiots guide to doing this please?

Many thanks

Simon

NeilE
    Participant
    #74335 |

Simon, I’ve converted the word doc to a pdf and that is there as well now. Its probably best to download it to your pc first then print it. To download the files or the whole folder that contains the gps files left click of the “…” icon to the right and select download. What happens next depends on your browser. In chrome it saves it to your downloads folder and you can copy it onto your garmin from there. I have added a screen shot showing the download option to the Dropbox page. If your still struggling then give me a call

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  NeilE.
    NeilE
    Participant
    #74340 |

Regarding the transfer, I have spoken with Chris and the plan is to add the cost of £17.82 it to everyone’s bill at the end of the trip. Keeps it simple for everyone, including myself

Simon Slater
    Participant
    #74341 |

Thanks Neil, I will give it a try over the weekend

NeilE
    Participant
    #74344 |

I have just added a new gps file called “Alps Day 3 – avoiding iseran”
    It goes back down to bourg st Maurice then there is a lot of N road bashing down the valley, the col de la Madeleine at 30km in length and 1500m ascent followed by more N road bashing up the next valley before rejoining the original route at the foot of the col du telegraph.
    In total it 91miles and 3221m of ascent compared to the original 68miles and 2391m of ascent.
    If you try and keep off the N road it will add miles and meteres onto what will already be a long day. lights may also be useful as there looks to be quite a few tunnels.
    if the madeleine isnt open then its an even bigger detour, Lets just hope the iseran is rideable

GrahamL
    Participant
    #74349 |

Seen a post on Instagram from guys who rode the Iseran today, they made it 4km from the summit before the snow stopped them. They also said it was 30 degrees so hopefully thawing out nicely up there.

I also spoke to a guy on Twitter who lives in the area and posts about his cycling adventures. He reckons it should be open by the time we get there and he emailed a guy in the local tourist to get some up to date info for us.

NeilE
    Participant
    #74350 |

All major alpine passes covered and updated daily….

http://www.alpen-journal.de/alpenservice/alpenpaesse.html#appt_c_A

GrahamL
    Participant
    #74351 |

Got a reply from the guy on Twitter the tourist office says the Iseran should be open by the 9th June but could be a few days before that.

chris
    Keymaster
    #74375 |

We will be loading the van up Thursday meeting at 6.30 at the Galliford Try car park on the usual ind estate opposite The Crown Cowley anyone needing further details e-mail me.

cheers Chris

WayneC
    Participant
    #74381 |

From the Val d’Isere TOurist website. Looks like we won’t have a long and boring detour.

OUVERTURE DU COL DE L’ISERAN
    08h00
    10Jun 2017
    Le samedi 10 juin le Col de l’iseran ouvre à nouveau sa route entre Bonneval et Val d’Isère
    (sous réserve de conditions climatiques)

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.